Saturday, November 21, 2009

Love and Death as of Late

Following my thesis defense a week and a half ago, I checked out of the world for a long-desired vacation. Only now do I have a grip on my mind and two feet standing steadily on the ground.

The verdict on my thesis was less than desirable. Although my work wasn't dismissed, I was informed that the number of edits I need to make will require more time than offered by the two week deadline between my defense and the submission deadline. In short, my thesis will be edited, complete, and submitted before I move to Kentucky, but not early enough to meet the deadline for December graduation. I have felt a range of emotions in response to the verdict: ambivalent acceptance, personal defeat, untargeted anger, teeth-gritting frustration, and, finally, the flippant drive to get the damn thing done.

In better news, Lady Audacity is pleased to announce that she is engaged! Following two years of dating, Mr. Audacity proposed on the cool afternoon of Friday, November 13. Although I choose to keep the details private, know that I am thrilled, the couple is in good ol' unconditional love, and I am proudly wearing a shining ring on my finger!

In closing, I would like to add that traditional country music is officially a thing of the past, as indicated by Taylor Swift's recently awarded title of Entertainer of the Year at the Country Music Awards. Call me crazy, but as a lady in my late twenties, I can neither relate to nor appreciate the diary-entries-turned-songs of a warbling 19 year old. My baby teeth are long gone . . . give me something I can sink these pearly adult canines into!


The Death of Country Music by Jack Lightfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment