Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ready, Aim, Fire, Ladies!

Extra, extra, read all about! My thesis advisor called said committee member (see "Seriously" post, November 7, 2009) a bully! And it gets better . . . my thesis advisor is flying in for my defense! That whole thing about my advisor being the great and powerful Oz (see "Skulls: Inside and Out" post, October 26, 2009) . . . forget it! The drama associated with my thesis is getting juicier than an episode of Desperate Housewives. Ya'll have no idea. During the course of this project, I have expereinced the death of a beloved friend to a motorcycle crash, the death of a committee member, the cancer diagnosis and recovery of another committee member, the relocation of my thesis advisor to a school about, oh, eight states away, the collapse of my graduate program and susequent absorbtion into another (crappy) program, and now, a final showdown between said committee member and me, my advisor, and everyone else it seems.

After said committee member's email yesterday, I started envisioning women I admire for thier strong will and, oh, shall I say audacity, to do and say as they damn well please. This army of women will be in my mind and heart all the way through my defense this week:

Loretta Lynn: Not only is she a fiery Kentuckian, she is repsonsible for penning "Fist City," a country classic that includes the line, "Close you face and stay outta my way if ya don't wanna go to fist city."

Rogue: Marvel's finest heroine has got it all. Strength? Check. The ability to drain her opponants? Check. Seduction? Check. Sweetness? Check. Southern? Check, check!

Artemis: When the Greek goddess of the moon and hunt caught Actaeon watching her bathe, she turned him into a stag. He was promptly torn to peices by his own pack of hunting dogs.


Princess Jasmine: She acted a little bitchy at first, but when everyone else was mesmerized by Prince Ali, she was the only one to speak up and say, hey, hold your horses (and monkies, harem girls, elephants, servants, genie, and whatever else you rode into town on), this is my heart we're talking about!


Dolly Parton: I do believe this picture says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment